Well, here goes nothing or maybe something – it’s the obligatory about us page. This is the beginning of a project that I hope will help everyone who visits this site. Perhaps, not in a big way. With any luck, and the help of God, though, at least in a small one. The point is to benefit and improve the lives of you, me, and everyone we meet through the effective use of acatholicsperspective.com.
You may ask, why start a site with the About Us page? As the editor, I decided to begin here because that was the first question I had to answer when I thought about making this journey. I asked myself: what is it all about? After all, there are so many websites out there that I may not get much traffic, so, at least, I can write about something that interests me – that I am passionate about.
From that starting line, I developed quite the list of seemingly disconnected topics:
- It could be about Catholicism, the most influential aspect of my life. Full disclosure, I am a priest. [Given the climate within the Church, that is the extent of the personal information you will get about me. After all, cancel culture knows no bounds.] It is only natural that I would take great interest in the Faith.
- It could be about society. There are so many things in the Church and culture that call for insightful critique. If only to highlight the insanity of the modern world.
- It could be about beauty. Having created a few in the past, I have a passion for creating beautiful websites – if you are going to build it, it should just look good – and, for that matter, the same applies to art and architecture.
Not coming to a definitive answer to my original question, I decided to sit with the idea of a topic for some time. Then, it hit me. There had to be a way that all these things could be united. Perhaps, there is an overarching category or categories that all the potential topics fit.
After some thought, I recognized that each of the topics I was interested in addressing corresponded to one of three areas: truth, goodness, and beauty. That would be my framework. It is flexible enough to allow me to write about almost anything. At the same time, it provided enough focus to maintain consistency:
- I can talk about theology and Catholicism as seeking the truth.
- I can discuss art and architecture as a search for beauty.
- I can even address church or societal woes by searching for goodness.
The best part of all of this is that whatever I address on this site, as long as I pursue the true, the good, and the beautiful, I will be able to strive for my original goal: to benefit and improve the lives of you, me, and everyone we meet.
A word about the site name. I settled on the title A Catholic’s Perspective, for the same reason I listed myself as the editor above. Some day, hopefully, it will not just be me here offering my Catholic perspective alone, but there will be others voicing theirs too. With the help of God, who knows where it can go! Let us set off on this journey together then, in service of Jesus Christ and His Church, remembering that our goal is Heaven.
To get started, check out this series that takes the reader on a tour of St Peters Basilica in Rome. You will find the first installment here. If you are new to the faith or unfamiliar with it, take a look at the articles in the Catholicism 101 series. Finally, if you have any questions or ideas, please send us an email or use the contact us page.